Brittney Griner: Why she kicks ass
- She is a 23 year old, 6 feet 8 inches tall, professional basketball player who currently plays for the Phoenix Mercury of the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA).
- "There are a whole lot of ways to be a woman."
- She was the first NCAA basketball player ever to score 2,000 points and block 500 shots, and has won two Naismith trophies.
- In 2012 she was named the AP Player of the Year and the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four, and was granted the Best Female Athlete ESPY Award.
- In 2009, Griner was named the nation’s #1 high school women’s basketball player by Rivals.com, featured on the cover of ESPN’s Rise Magazine, was selected by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association as the 2009 State Farm/WBCA High School Player of the Year.
- She was the the first person to dunk twice in a single WNBA, on her debut game.
- She has a Nike contract that will allow her the freedom to wear menswear apparel (something that has never been done before.)
- “I knew once I went pro that I wanted to come out because I wanted to work with LGBT youth — to let them know it’s OK. To younger girls and boys I would say, ‘It’s never too late — you can come out at your own time’, but it’s definitely rewarding knowing you can be who you are and have a good support group around you. It makes your life 100 times better.”